Camping is just what I needed, it was so great to just get away from work and hang out by a warm fire and koalas. The greenies cooked up some great dinners and I ate a lot of marshmellows and chocolate. They also encouraged me to watch a documentary on YouTube called Earthlings.
Earthlings... oh, just watch it. It will really make you think about what kind of human being you want to be in this lifetime. I then read two books, 'Eating Animals' and 'Killing Animals'. Eating Animals is very easy to read and very user-friendly, so to speak. Killing Animals is a lot more theoretical and pulls on the likes of Peter Singer etc.
Anyway, I'm not saying I'm anything more or less than I am, but I certainly will be making a difference with what I do and don't eat. I have absolutely zero appetite or craving for meat or fish, and it's surprisingly easy to be vegan friendly. I would have thought I'm the last person to even consider giving up animals and animal products but after watching Earthlings, I'm really determined to be the kind of person who I wish I could be. Does that make sense?
Work is going pretty crap, but apart from pulling more hours it's not really effecting me at the moment. I'll be gone in about a month so all I really have to focus on is keeping up with the work load and getting things ready for the new person (when they hire someone..).
I had to work today but it wasn't overly terrible because we had Monday off. And I get a day off tomorrow, and I've cooked up a big feast of kidney beans, canneloni beans, pearl barley, soy sausages and taco sauce that will last me a couple of dinners, I've finished cleaning the house and all I really need to do is sleeeeeeeeeeep.
1 comment:
Wow! Earthling seems like a must see, then. We have just started the so-called Golden Week holiday - there is nothing golden about it, but perhaps canola flowers are beautifully golden at the moment - and this is a holiday I certainly need after a month of hard work running a new university on the one hand and trying to make those men at the top understand the basic rules of human interaction, on the other. So good to hear you are open to new thoughts and new ways of life. Explore every possibility while you can! But don't forget to be happy at the same time.
Mum Ebi
Post a Comment